This podcast with Elise Marie Collins, author of the best-selling book, Super Ager, is admittedly a conversation like going through uncharted waters for our host, Alexandra. But having so much to share as both yoga health coaches and many deep values as Ayurvedic practitioners just made this talk flawlessly eye-opening and inspiring. Especially while tackling the topic of aging! (And mind you, not only aging but “super” aging.)
Elise, a yoga health coach, and a gerontologist have also written two other books—Chakra Tonics and An A to Z Guide to Healing Foods. Her work was inspired mainly by her practice, her quest for healthier choices for her son, and her passion for helping people live a longer and fuller life.
To her, writing these books, and eventually, Super Ager is like passing on the wisdom of Ayurveda and an expression of her love and respect for older adults and admiration for the habits that made them thrive and become centenarians.
This conversation navigated through some very important notions (and misconceptions) about getting old and old age itself as that part of our lives, igniting appreciation and respect for older adults, their wisdom, and the very wisdom behind what got them to this now-precious stage of life.
Walking us through gerontology (the study of aging) and how it is so much like the Western Ayurveda for its multidisciplinary nature, to the fun facts about Blue Zones, you are sure to pick up gems of lessons you’ll want to implement in your life as soon as possible. Because for centenarians, everything that got them to live up to a hundred started at birth.
Elise also touched on breaking down some common misconceptions, or views, and attitudes towards people of old age. She explains how pervasive individualistic culture made us think that older people are useless. Looking at the form, the fire element (the competition), and just what we see on the surface, makes us think that older people are useless. But centenarians are precious because they tell stories of the life they’ve seen and history. And learning from their habits tells us tons about living a full, more satisfying, and happy life.
And these stories of older adults is such a fountain of new possibilities and hope!
Links mention in the podcast
- Elisa Collins Website
- Download Audio
- Watch Video of the Podcast
- Support me on Patreon and receive great gifts!
- Check out our Free Meditation Challenge with Alexandra
- To becoming a super ager, being supported by family, friends and a community is more powerful than anything else. Social connections are huge. And people want to be around you when you have positive thinking and mindset. – Elise Marie Collins
- In the modern era, we could set up an environment that could be like a blue zone. We don’t necessarily have to isolate ourselves to become a super ager, but we could set things up where we’re supporting each other. – Elise Marie Collins
- Not everybody wants to live a long life. But the habits that lead to living a long life are usually those that help you live a full life, a more satisfying and happy life. – Elise Marie Collins
- They have nothing to chase. All there is to do is to be. Just be. Just see what’s coming your way. – Alexandra Kreis
- We make these supportive interconnections if we open ourselves up to the vulnerabilities of life. The more people keeping our minds uplifted and supported, the more we can look at a healthy, thriving life over the next decades. – Alexandra Kreis
Elise Marie Collins is the author of three books on holistic health: Chakra Tonics, Essential Elixirs for Mind, Body and Spirit and An A-Z Guide to Healing Foods, A Shoppers