There are things that people do not usually talk about but are common and natural to us. Most of the time these are signals or signs from our bodies trying to communicate with us. In this episode of Outer Travel, Inner Journey, Faye Blake shares her journey of finding her inner self and how her personal experiences, including hairdressing, help her help other people in finding their inner selves.
As a herbalist hairdresser and Ayurvedic coach, Faye believes that the key to living a sustainable life is to listen to the signals that our bodies tell us and not wait for the extremes. She explains that this is her way even in hairdressing, wherein she lets hair take its form and express itself. She learned this the hard way when she started hairdressing in a more traditional hair salon wherein they were expected to conform to a certain mold and have a specific image. When she tried conforming, she felt drained and coped through unhealthy addictions like smoking and alcohol.
This is when Faye realized that people tend to not actively try and make a difference unless something extreme happened and forced them to do it. After quitting the salon, she found herself working with naturopathic nutritionists. Shortly afterward she understood that what she want to do is to empower people through listening to our body’s wisdom and intuitive nature.
Self-empowerment for her is living intuitively through listening to the elements and energies in our bodies and not looking for answers externally. It is trusting yourself and being to speak from a place within and trusting that your voice is valid.
People who work in hairdressing, like Faye, have a gift of connecting and listening to people and reflecting with them and making them feel good about themselves. They are also a reminder that we cannot do everything alone, on our own. They help us nurture ourselves by listening to what our bodies are telling us and loving the parts that we take for granted. By mirroring us, they teach us how to live intuitively and love ourselves more.
Links mention in the podcast
- Watch Video of the Podcast
- Download Audio of the Podcast
- Faye Blake Website
- Check out previous Podcasts
- Take advantage of the special price – This week only join Greek Escape
- “I want to sit at a hairdresser because it’s about me, my own self-care, and about somebody who wants to talk about my hair and treat it like a part of me that needs the love and affection.” – Alexandra Kreis
- “When they [hairdressers] are puffing it up, it’s almost like asking your hair what it wants to do. I see this a lot in the body. Our emotional body and physical body is always talking. How do we a gain a conversation with it? It’s by going through this more intuitive way of living. With hairdressing it’s the same. What’s going on within there, what does it actually wanna do, how does it wanna express. It’s free expression, it’s us, it’s an extension of us and we’re not molding it and shaping it to fit in like we do to the rest of our body in life to be in a box or how it should look. It’s a real process of freedom and living in alignment of how naturally it wants to be, in alignment with nature.” – Faye Blake
- “For women, we tend to put a lot of other people that we care about way before ourselves. From that place they can really burn out or really go to depletion and fatigue, and total disconnect from ourselves and our path and how we truly want to live.” – Faye Blake
- “I believe Ayurveda does that with the elements and the energies and how you get to see them within your own body. That to me is your body’s intuitive nature, and your body’s wisdom talking, that’s your body’s voice.” – Faye Blake
- “Intuitive is self-trust, self-trusting what comes within and being able to speak from that place and not just looking externally for answers. It’s a way of trusting self, trusting my own voice, and knowing that it’s valid.” – Faye Blake
Faye Blake is a naturopathic nutritionist, yoga and meditation teacher, and Ayurvedic health coach. She helps create deeply sustainable self-energy, to help people make a difference in the world without depleting and spiraling around into self-sabotaging behaviors. She promotes living intuitively through listening to what our bodies tell us. Faye loves to surround herself with a community working on their inner selves and freeing themselves from their past to create a loving and purposeful life. She is also a herbalist hairdresser at Tame the Mane Salon in Bristol, a salon that offers alternative natural hair services and products. Faye encourages people to equally nourish both their minds and bodies in a sustainable way.